Election filing closes Monday
Monday is the last day to file for local seats for the November election and it looks like many positions will go to incumbents without a challenge, with two completely empty seats in Genoa.
– Genoa Town Board. There are two openings on the Genoa Town Board this year that no one has yet filed for. Incumbents Dennis White and Bill Donohoe, or anyone other Genoa residents, have until Monday to claim those two seats.
County Clerk-Treasurer Barbara Reed said if no one files for the seats on Genoa’s town board, the county commission chooses the board members.
Reed said this filing period, which ends Monday at 5 p.m., has been one of the slowest she has seen.
“It’s been a slow year. Usually there is a little more activity. Things can change, but I guess that shows everybody’s happy with how everything’s running. There have been no major events or anything terribly controversial,” she said.
– School board. The school board has a one hotly-contested seat – that of area 4. John Raker was appointed two years ago, and was selected over Douglas High School teacher Randy Green. Green filed May 2 and Raker filed May 1. Friday, John Louritt filed for the same seat.
Other than that, the seats are uncontested, despite the recent outcries against the current school board members. Two long-time trustees, Randy Wallstrum and current president Don Forrester , have said they will not run this year.
Jim Keegan filed May 4 for area 5, which will be vacated by Forrester, and Charles Pullen filed for area 7, which will be vacated by Wallstrum.
Incumbents David Brady, of area 1 and George Echan, of area 3, are both running unopposed so far for a second term.
– Ranchos GID. Incumbent Bev Page filed for her seat on the Gardnerville Ranchos General Improvement District board of trustees Friday. Incumbent Dewey Jay filed May 3 and Roger Paul, who was appointed by the board in November, filed May 2. No one else has filed for the GID board.
– County Commission. Incumbents om the commission are also unopposed as Friday afternoon. Bernie Curtis, of district 3, Kelly Kite of district 5 and Steve Weissinger of district 1 are all Republicans.
– Minden Town Board. Raymond Wilson filed May 1 for the seat he currently holds, as did Bruce Jacobsen.
– Gardnerville Town Board. Incumbents Randy Slater and Loren Orr are running unopposed so far.
– Indian Hills GID. Rhonda Pascoe is running for her seat.
– Justice of the Peace. Jim EnEarl is running for another six-year term unopposed so far, but the Tahoe District race is more interesting. Richard Glasson and Ray Finnegan have filed for the seat that will be vacated by Justice Steve McMorris.
– Web site. For updated filing information, check the Clerk-Treasurer’s office Web site at cltr.co.douglas.nv.us and click on Election Information and then on Candidates for 2000.