Douglas Marines observe service’s birthday
November 10, 2018
While Saturday is the official Marine Corps birthday, more than 40 Douglas Marines and a few family members cut the cake a day early on Friday.
The youngest Marine, Douglas Sheriff's Deputy Steve Kimbrell served cake to the oldest Marine, Jack Wyle, who served in combat at Iwo Jima.
Sgt. Ron Miller read the Commandant's birthday message. A change of annual program command took place as Undersheriff Paul Howell, who is retiring, turned over the baton to Miller. T
"There was much camaraderie in the room," said Marine and Judge Steve McMorris who followed up the Commandant's comments about the WW1 historic Marine battle 100 years ago at Belleau France with his observations of the magnificent preservation of the American Cemetery, Church and battle site he saw during a visit in May.
Trending In: Local
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Search continues for 16-year-old Mono County girl
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- Operation Christmas Child collecting in Minden
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA