Developer withdraws opposition to gravel pit |

Developer withdraws opposition to gravel pit

The Grandview Ranch sign at the corner of East Valley and Stockyard Road. The development is located south of the main route that will be used by gravel trucks.
Kurt Hildebrand |

One of the first opponents of a plan to sell gravel to reduce the cost of a new sewer pond has withdrawn its appeal of a planning commission approval.

Grandview Ranch developer Steve Mothersell sent the letter to the county earlier this month asking that the appeal be dropped based on a modified haul route proposed for the project.

Douglas County Sewer Improvement District No. 1 is proposing building a new retention pond at the top of Stockyard Road on 1,001 acres of land in the Pine Nuts.

The project is scheduled to return to the planning commission at the Nov. 10 meeting with a new plan that will cross Bently property to Heybourne and then south to Muller Lane.

The new route would require a traffic signal at Muller Lane and Highway 395, project engineer Rob Anderson said.

Mothersell cited the new route, a berm between the project and the haul route and improvements to the road.

Mothersell said he and his company “no longer oppose the application for a special use permit to allow open and subsurface mining.”

He asked Community Development Director Mimi Moss to withdraw any material from consideration by the county in opposition.

The Douglas County Sewer District treats sewage from Stateline and pumps the effluent over Kingsbury Grade to a lined holding pond in the Pine Nut Mountains that they share with the Minden-Gardnerville Sanitation District.

The pond is required for winter storage. During the summer the treated effluent is used to irrigate fields in Carson Valley.

The district has piped treated effluent over Kingsbury since it opened in the 1960s.

Under their current approval, the sewer district could begin excavation of the pond, but couldn’t sell the material.

In order to mine gravel on the site, Douglas County commissioners must approve a special use permit. If approved, a contractor would run the operation on behalf of the district.