DCSD receives donation
June 15, 2017
Douglas County School District received more than $13,000 in funds during the 2016-17 school year from the Grocery Outlet and store owners Chris and Sam Calhoun.
The Calhouns sponsor the Script Program at the store — 5 percent of customer expenditures in the store are donated to Douglas County schools, Superintendent Teri White said.
A total of $6,724 was donated to the district in the spring and a similar amount was donated in the fall, White said. Funds are used to support professional development and student behavior intervention programs, improve playgrounds and fund extra field trips.
Schools that received funds were Zephyr Cove Elementary, $202; Carson Valley Middle, $804; Minden Elementary, $1,026; Scarselli Elementary, $1,065; Pau Wa Lu Middle, $1,138; Gardnerville Elementary, $1,219; and Meneley Elementary, $1,270.
"The District feels very lucky to have so much community support and thanks our families for shopping at Grocery Outlet and Grocery Outlet for their generous support of our students," White said.
Trending In: Local
- Police helicopter clipping power lines will require Carson-Reno artery to close for two mornings to fix
- Search continues for 16-year-old Mono County girl
- 2010 Story Mom charged with leaving 12-year-old alone while she’s in LA
- Band of aggressive wild horses up for gather next week
- Vacation rentals draw divided response