County drops legal action | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

County drops legal action

by Sheila Gardner

Douglas County has dropped legal action against property owners Glenn and Vicki Warren, and will proceed with work to repair a stretch of the Carson River damaged in the 1997 New Year’s Flood.

“We just got the green light and we’re going to go forward,” said Deputy District Attorney Tom Perkins, who initiated legal action against the Warrens on behalf of Douglas County. “We’re happy we can go on without a court order.”

The county filed suit against the Warrens to gain access to their property to repair about one-third of an acre damaged in the flood. Court document indicated that the Warrens were holding up the easement in exchange for approval of an unrelated bridge project.

The Warrens claimed, however, in court papers filed last week, that they had no intention of holding up the repairs.

“We are aware of the need to procure our property to relocate, double the width of the channel, raise and fortify the banks of our portion of the land along the East Fork of the Carson River. We have consented to this project, have given permission for access for construction and maintenance and have never revoked or denied access to anyone,” the Warrens stated.

Perkins said he filed a motion Monday to drop legal action against the Warrens.

“I’ve withdrawn the motion for immediate entry and we’re going to go forward with the project,” Perkins said.

Dan Kaffer, western Nevada resource conservation and development area coordinator for the federal Natural Resources Conservation Service, said his agency was eager to get the repairs complete before fall.

“This is one of the most significant projects that needs to be completed on the Carson River. It affects more than a dozen irrigators and property owners as well as the towns of Minden and Gardnerville,” Kaffer said Tuesday. “It’s huge in importance to the community to get it done and get it done right.”

Kaffer said the hold-up now is the level of water in the river.

“We can’t get in with flows over 1,000 cubic feet per second and more,” he said. “We’re just extremely anxious to get the work completed before this fall. Otherwise we’ll have problems next year.”

The Record-Courier E-mail: rc@tahoe.com

Visitors Guide | News | Diversions | Marketplace | Weather | Community

Copyright, tahoe.com. Materials contained within this site may

not be used without permission.

About tahoe.com…