Class of ’65 gathers in Gardnerville
It has been 50 years since the Class of 1965 graduated from Douglas County High School.
While they didn’t attend high school in the building that now houses the Carson Valley Museum & Cultural Center, they did go to middle school there, and had to walk by the old school to attend high school.
Of the 44 graduates, 14 classmates and two teachers attended the event on Aug. 15, according to Salutatorian Sondra Condron.
“In the morning, they toured the old junior high school, which is now the museum, and the old high school, which is now Carson Valley Middle School, and in the evening, they had dinner at the Country Club,” she said. “A great time was had by all, sharing memories and telling stories.”
There were only 232 students attending the high school in 1965, with the graduating class at 44 students, the largest class in the school’s history, according to the June 10, 1965, edition of The Record-Courier.
Class Valedictorian was Steven Riggs and The principal was Jerome Etchegoyhen.
It has been a century since work began on the Gardnerville high school. To kick off a celebration, the museum is hosting an all-high school reunion on Sept. 13.
The school has been a Gardnerville landmark since it, and the Minden Courthouse, were approved by the Nevada Legislature in 1915.
Originally proposed for the new town of Minden, the high school was built in Gardnerville as a compromise with those who opposed moving the county seat.
Work on the school didn’t begin until the summer of 1915, and students started that year in the old wooden high school located along the road to Trinity Lutheran Church.