Christen is first male county recorder in a generation
Werner Christen is the Douglas County Recorder and the head coach of the Douglas High School girls’ basketball team. Christen has led the girls to the NIAA 4A State Tournament the last two years. In 2002, the team won the Northern 4A Region championship and lost in double overtime of the state championship game, 76-74, to Centennial High School. The team won a school record 26 games that season.
– Name, age, title: Werner Christen, 46, Douglas County Recorder.
– Where are you from originally? I was born at Burtonwood Air Force Base in England.
– What brought you to Carson Valley? I moved to Douglas County in 1965 with my parents.
– What are your job responsibilities? What is a typical day’s schedule like? The Recorders office is charged with recordation of legal documents relating to land transfers and marriages. I also oversee the Records Management division for Douglas County. I have a staff of nine hard-working, dedicated employees.
The records that are maintained in our office are indexed in alphabetical order for easy access by our customers. I have been with the Recorders Office/Records Management for 27 years and I enjoy serving the public.
– What is a little-known fact about your job? I am the first male recorder in Douglas County since 1918 (Fred Klotz).
– What drew you to coaching basketball? How long have you been coaching? I was hired by Andy Hughes 17 years ago to coach freshman basketball.
– In your spare time, what activities do you enjoy? My spare time is spent with my family, usually getting my two daughters to whatever athletic event or function they have.
– Do you have a family? Names? Ages? Wife Jody, married 20 years, daughters Britney, 18, freshman at Lassen College and Lisa, 13, an eighth grader at Pau-Wa-Lu.
– Who is your role model? My role model is my mom Josephine. She is a great, loving mother and I try to pass that on to my girls.
– What is your favorite song? I like anything by Everclear or Oasis.
Interview conducted by Joey Crandall. To nominate someone for the Movers & Shakers feature, contact News Editor Sally J. Taylor at email@example.com or (775) 782-5121 ext. 215.