Charges dropped against man in Dresslerville fire | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Charges dropped against man in Dresslerville fire

by Sheila Gardner

Arson and trespassing charges were dismissed Wednesday against Ruben Aguilar Jr., 23, who had been accused of burning down a mobile home in Dresslerville.

Aguilar was released from Douglas County Jail shortly before noon Wednesday, where he had been held on $50,187 bail since his arrest Jan. 29.



Prosecutor Mark Jackson requested that charges of first-degree arson and misdemeanor trespassing be dismissed.

Jackson said Thursday he asked the charges be dismissed for lack of evidence against Aguilar.



But, Jackson said, the fire is under investigation by the FBI and the Bureau of Indian Affairs because the incident occurred on tribal land.

“A voluntary dismissal gives me the ability to refile in the event an ongoing investigation indicates further evidence,” he said.

Aguilar’s lawyer, Matthew Ence, argued in East Fork Justice Court last week that there was no evidence his client had set the fire that destroyed the home at 1612 Mountain Way.

Ence said Aguilar admitted being at the address before the fire, but left before the home was destroyed.

He said Aguilar had been angry and thrown rocks at the trailer after he was allegedly jumped by two men.

Jackson said an investigator from the Nevada State Fire Marshal’s Office was unable to determine if the fire was deliberately or maliciously set, factors which constitute first-degree arson.

The fire marshal investigator determined that the fire was not caused by faulty wiring or any electrical problem, Jackson said.