Case continued for DHS student who makes threats |

Case continued for DHS student who makes threats

by Merrie Leininger

The 17-year-old boy who was suspended from Douglas High School for allegedly making threats was in court Monday, but the case was continued until next week at the request of the boy’s attorney.

Mark Jackson was appointed to represent Daniel Torok-Ohlin, and Jackson told Judge Michael Gibbons Daniel wanted to plead guilty even through he maintained he did not make those threats.

“He wants to admit the allegations, but I don’t think there’s a factual basis for these charges,” Jackson said. “A lot of kids were in the commons talking about Littleton, Colo. A lot of them were talking about how easily it would be to walk in there and pop off 30 people and that’s what he was saying, too.”

However, Deputy District Attorney Derrick Lopez said he also told students “I’m so capable of that you don’t even know.”

Lopez said a girl told administrators she told Daniel he shouldn’t joke about that, and he replied she would see that he wasn’t joking.

Jackson also said that Daniel was talking about goose hunting with friends when people reported he was acting like he was shooting them with his finger.

Jackson said he needed more time to discuss the situation with Daniel and his parents because he felt that Daniel didn’t understand the full effect a guilty plea would have on his life. Jackson said he could be expelled from school if he admits to the harassment and disorderly conduct charges. His 10-day suspension was almost over Monday, Jackson said.

The judge allowed Daniel to be released from the juvenile detention center in Stateline. He will remain on house arrest at his father’s house.

“Daniel, you can see you’re under a microscope right now. Everyone will be watching you to see what kind of person you actually are,” Gibbons said.

He was ordered to submit his home and person to search and seizure and to follow all rules of home and school. His father was ordered to report any violations of his home rules.

He will return to court Monday, May 10.

n In related school safety news: A 11-year-old boy was in court Monday to admit to battery and disorderly conduct after he choked another student and threatened to bring a gun to school.

The boy refused to have the help of an attorney and said he wanted to admit to the charges even though he was just joking during both incidents.

The boy told the judge he was on the bus and told another boy he would bring a gun to school to make him be quiet.

“I told someone I would bring a gun to school and shoot him because he always talks on the bus. It was a joke,” the boy said.

“A witness who overheard it did take it seriously and reported it,” Lopez said.

Gibbons decided to wait until after the boy returned from Children’s Behavioral Services home in Reno to sentence him. The sentencing was set for Aug. 16.

“Try to learn as much as you can from this program and try to get along with everyone,” Gibbons said.