Business council director hurt in explosion | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Business council director hurt in explosion

by Merrie Leininger, staff writer

The executive director of the Business Council of Douglas County remained hospitalized after her Kingsbury Grade home was destroyed in an explosion Thursday afternoon.

Suzanne Rosevold, 47, was under heavy sedation Friday afternoon, but spoke to The Record-Courier by phone. She said she has a compression fracture in her back and multiple fractures in her right heel.

Although obviously in pain, Rosevold, 47, joked that she and her husband, Hans, were arguing over who had the more impressive black eye.

She said her husband was blown out of the house by the force of the explosion and landed in the grass, suffering bumps and bruises.

Hans Rosevold said his wife ia in pain, but should be fine.

“She’s her old pistol self – mad because she can’t get back to work,” he said. “You know Suzanne, she’s got to get to work. She is going to be in pain for a while, but it is nothing that is life-threatening or disabling.”

Get-well wishes can be sent to P.O. Box 5845, Stateline, NV 89449.

The Tahoe-Douglas Fire Protection District responded Thursday after what appeared to be a natural gas explosion that completely damaged the home in the 300 block of Andria Drive off Kingsbury Grade.

On Friday afternoon, Hans Rosevold said he couldn’t comment very much on the cause of the blast, but hinted others would be held accountable.

“Everybody who is anybody is up there. It’s not our problem, that’s all I can tell you. There’s going to be big litigation,” he said.

The Rosevolds have been married for six years and have six children and five grandchildren between them. Suzanne has been executive director of BCDC for almost a year now.

Rosevold is also a member of Carson Valley Soroptimist International, and was chairperson of the Carson River Clean-up planned for Nov. 4. Soroptimist President Linda Faff said Friday that Vice President Donna Lee would be taking over that job. For more information about the clean-up, call 265-7326.

– The explosion. The Rosevold’s neighbor, Randy Cox, he heard the explosion, then debris hitting his house.

“My backyard’s covered in glass,” Cox said.

Cox called 911 and ran next door to help the Rosevolds out of the rubble.

“(Hans) told me he flew 10 feet in the air,” Cox said. (Suzanne) was in the living room playing the piano when it happened. I think he was in the kitchen.”

Fire Chief Tim Smith said Thursday it appeared to be a natural gas explosion of some kind, but there was no fire when the firefighters arrived.

“Sometimes gas explosions are so strong, they blow any fire out,” Smith said. “This type of explosion is very uncommon. There are gas leaks, but you almost never get concentration or it never finds the ignition source and blows like this one did. There’s a good chance that what’s left of the house will have to be mechanically pulled down.”

A fire official said all the homes in the area are serviced by natural gas, a service not usually problematic. Smith said his district more often experiences gas explosions that originate at broken propane tanks rather than natural gas sources.

– Gregory Crofton of the Tahoe Daily Tribune contributed to this story.