Burning speaker interrupts high school volleyball match | RecordCourier.com

Burning speaker interrupts high school volleyball match

Staff Reports

A burning speaker in the main gym at Douglas High School prompted a response from East Fork firefighters 5:15 p.m. Thursday.

According to Principal Marty Swisher, the speaker began to spark and burst into flames during the junior varsity volleyball match against Reno High School.

One of the coaches used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames while East Fork was en route.

"A large number of people were at the school for two volleyball games," East Fork Battalion Chief Scott Fraser said.

"Damage was limited to the speaker and the gym was evacuated for a short period of time while the smoke was cleared from the building. No injuries were reported and the games were able to continue a short time later."

Firefighters determined the gym was safe. After a 30-minute delay, the varsity match took the gym.

Recommended Stories For You

The junior varsity match resumed in the auxiliary gym.

"We thank East Fork Fire Department for its quick and professional response," Swisher said.

With weather turning cooler, Fraser said it's time to prepare by checking furnaces, fireplaces, smoke alarms and extinguishers.

"East Fork wants to remind everyone to check your fire extinguishers and smoke alarms," Fraser said.

"With the weather changing to fall, now is a great time to make sure you're safe."