Burn victims remain in hospital | RecordCourier.com

Burn victims remain in hospital

by Scott Murphy, Staff Writer

With one victim dead, two of the four other victims of last month’s explosion at a Minden plant remain in critical condition in separate burn centers in Sacramento and Las Vegas.

Elias San Juan and Susano Gonzales are both in critical condition at the University of California, Davis and University Medical Center in Las Vegas, respectively.

An investigation by the East Fork Fire District is in its final stages, said East Fork Fire Capt. Terry Taylor. And four possible sources of ignition for the Sept. 17 fatal blast at Depressurized Technologies International, Inc. remain.

An explosion happened about 7:40 p.m. and more than 80 firefighters responded. The five injured men were immediately flown to burn centers.

Taylor said Tuesday he plans to meet with District Attorney Scott Doyle as part of normal procedure for a fatal blast or fire.

Taylor also will travel to Las Vegas this week and meet with Clark County coroners to examine the autopsy of Jamie Gonzales, who died last Wednesday of injuries sustained during the explosion.

In addition to the two men who remain in critical condition, Taylor said Raul Gonzales and Celio San Juan, who are in the UC Davis burn center, are off intubators and are showing “definite improvement.”

Taylor also encouraged residents to contribute money to the relief effort headed by St. Gall Catholic Church.

“The families still need support,” he said. “And there’s no insurance that pays to have loved ones stay with you when you’re (burned.)”