Boys get probation for window breaking spree |

Boys get probation for window breaking spree

by Merrie Leininger, staff writer

Four boys were placed on probation and ordered to pay more than $15,000 in restitution for damaging 23 cars in the Carson Valley.

Jared Ray Holmes, 16, Grant David DeVore, 17, Matthew Keller, 17, and Beau Valory, 16, will be jointly responsible for the restitution. The boys were arrested and admitted to throwing large rocks at cars during a one-night vandalism spree.

However, if one or more of the boys neglects to pay his portion, the others are responsible for the whole amount. Some of the boys’ parents told the judge they will pay their son’s portion of the restitution immediately, then require their sons to pay them back, in order to get the money to the victims quickly.

Judge Michael Gibbons told the juvenile probation department to try to rank the victims based on need. He said those who didn’t have car insurance coverage should be paid first.

Each boy or his parents have already paid part of the money. Grant and his father had paid about $1,500. His father paid for one woman’s truck to be repaired after he read about her situation in The Record-Courier. Jared had paid $250, Matt had paid $1,150 and Beau paid $1,200.

Gibbons said he could not order the boys to repay what the insurance companies paid, only what the victims themselves paid out of pocket.

About 12 victims came to the hearing Monday and many spoke about the trouble this incident had caused them. One man said he runs his own business and because he was unable to make a meeting the day after his car was damaged, he lost a $4,500 business deal. The man asked that he be reimbursed for that loss, but the judge said he would have to have more information and scheduled another hearing to decide.

Gibbons said some victims had written letters to the court expressing their fears about the crime and how they no longer feel safe in their own homes.

Other victims expressed concern that the boys were not remorseful.

Victim Mike Henningsen said his son came outside immediately after a rock was thrown through his car window. He said his son saw the boys turn the car around and drive back by the damaged car, laughing.

Each of the boys said he was remorseful for what he had done to the 23 victims.

“I know I did wrong. It’s hurt me a lot, too, as it hurt the victims. The ones who are concerned about moving because they don’t feel safe shouldn’t feel that way. We didn’t target them, it was kind of a random thing. I’m sure that if juveniles in the county are aware of what’s been going on with us, they wouldn’t do anything like this,” Jared said.

“I would also like to apologize. I don’t know what I was thinking,” Beau said.

His father also apologized to the victims and said he had seen a complete change in attitude in his son since he admitted to his part in the incident. Beau accepted full responsibilit and pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit damage to a motor vehicle, as did all the boys. However, Beau was not present during the vandalism to all the cars because he went home earlier than the others. Beau said he was taking responsibility for all of the damage because he knew the rest of the boys would continue to damage cars and he didn’t do anything to stop them.

“I didn’t realize how it would affect the entire Valley and how my friends, family and neighbors would think about me,” Matt said. He said one of the victims is his next door neighbor.

“I’m not standing up here now to look good for the judge or my parents,” Grant said. “I am very sorry and am working very hard to get you paid off as soon as possible.”

Each of the boys will be on probation until they complete all the requirements. They must complete 48 hours of community service, submit to random drug testing, take part in outpatient family and anger counseling, submit to search and seizure for controlled substances, alcohol and drug paraphernalia, pay $75 in attorney fees and write letters of apology to each of the victims.

The judge said the court can take 75 percent of each boy’s paycheck until the full amount is paid. Each boy was ordered to attend school or a GED program with no absences and their driver’s licenses were suspended with allowances to drive to work.

Also, Beau will remain on house arrest for 60 days because he was charged later than the other three and did not spend time on house arrest that the others did.

A review hearing was set for 10:30 a.m. Oct. 23.