Bail holds at $250,000 for sex assault suspect
East Fork Judge Tom Perkins refused Wednesday to reduce the $250,000 bail for a Gardnerville man accused of the sexual assault of a 5-year-old girl.
Lawyer Tod Young asked for a reduction for his client after the suspect waived a 15-day preliminary hearing, now scheduled for April 19.
Voyer, 31, is charged with two felony counts of sexual assault against a child under age 14.
“Obviously, it’s a very serious matter,” Young said. “It’s alleged as an ‘A’ felony, but Mr. Voyer has been in the community for several years.”
He said Voyer lost his job, but prior to his arrest in mid-March had been given a promotion.
He said Voyer would agree to $10,000 cash bail with strict requirements including no contact with the child.
“That’s a lot of money, a sufficient amount to keep him here,” Young said. “He has no failures to appear, and no criminal history.”
Young said Voyer would agree to an ankle monitor to track his movements.
“Two-hundred-fifty-thousand dollars bail is, in essence, no bail,” Young said. “I think he is entitled to a reasonable bail.”
Prosecutor Erik Levin opposed the request.
“This is among the most serious crimes we have,” Levin said.
Perkins expressed concern over Voyer’s Canadian passport.
“I don’t know what he did here, but if he is convicted, he is looking at life in prison. That is certainly incentive to leave the jurisdiction,” Perkins said.
He told Young to present the court with affidavits attesting to his client’s work history, and length of time in the community, and he would reconsider the request.