Apartment fire displaces seven residents | RecordCourier.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Apartment fire displaces seven residents

Staff Reports

An attempt to dispose of Christmas wrapping and boxes resulted in seven people being forced from their homes by a fire at the Pebble Creek Apartments in Gardnerville on Wednesday night.

No one was hurt in the second accidental fire in five days. Fire investigator Capt. Terry Taylor confirmed that an occupant of the apartment was disposing of Christmas-related packaging in an outdoor barbecue.

The flames shot up the wall and into an attic vent.

East Fork firefighters responded to the fire at 8:30 p.m. and found flames coming from the attic of one apartment, with the possibility of spreading to the two neighboring apartments.

The first companies to arrive were able to limit smoke and fire damage to two apartments.

Battalion Chief Larry Goss said it took two-dozen firefighters about a half hour to fully extinguish the blaze.

As a result of the fire, five apartments were found not safe to occupy.

Goss said residents should avoid placing a heat source, especially with an open flame, next to a wall and that barbecues should be used for cooking.

Units from Carson City Fire were called to assist with coverage of the East Fork district while crews from Minden, the Gardnerville Ranchos, Gardnerville and Sunridge helped fight the fire.

The Red Cross was called to assist with finding someplace for those displaced by the fire to stay.

A fire on Lassen Way was determined to be caused by fireplace ashes disposed of in a garbage bin.