Accident brings 2 people together |

Accident brings 2 people together

by Aurora Sain
Jennie Gould and her daughters.
Special to the R-C |

No one thought that a horrific car accident would turn two strangers into friends, but that’s exactly what happened earlier this year.

Last September, Minden resident Jennie Gould was driving home with her 8-year-old and 4-year-old daughters when she was following behind a semi-truck and a motorcycle.

They were on Highway 88 and Centerville Road when the accident happened.

Gould and her daughters watched as the semi-truck accidentally ran over the motorcyclist.

Gould pulled over, told her daughters to stay in the car and ran up to the guy on the motorcycle while she dialed 911.

The motorcycle driver had landed a full football field away from where he was hit, and Gould searched for him and shielded him from other cars who were driving by.

The semi-truck driver stopped as well but it took him a while to lock up his brakes, said Gould.

“It seemed like it was just a dream,” said Gould.

Gould got emotional while remembering the driver covered in blood.

“I just thought, I don’t want this man to die alone,” said Gould. “I seriously thought he was dead.”

Gould said that other drivers just kept going around; no one was stopping for them.

“I just said, I don’t know if you can hear me, but you’re going to be okay, help is on the way,” said Gould.

Gould said that before she left the scene she asked a state trooper if the guy was going to be okay, to which the officer replied no.

Gould spent months wondering what ever happened to that guy, that’s when she received a letter in April.

“I hope this card does not seem too forward, but I wanted to thank you for saving my fiancés life on Sept. 24, 2015,” the card starts out. “I hope by now the state trooper let you know that Tony is alive and well. You acted so strong and so amazing during such a horrific event. You are truly our hero. Someone is alive because of your fast acting decisions,” forever in your gratitude, Tasha and Tony.

“I cried when I got the letter,” said Gould.

Tasha Klubock of the Bay Area had gotten Gould’s contact information from one of the troopers, and felt compelled to make sure Gould knew that her fiancé Tony Davis was safe.

Davis was in town for Street Vibrations when the accident happened, while Klubock was back home in the Bay Area.

When Klubock got the news she rushed to Renown ICU and got pulled over on the way.

“The highway patrol let me go and told me to get there safe,” said Klubock.

Davis was in Acoma by the time Klubock got to the hospital. By day seven, doctors told her that she should let him go and pull the plug but she refused.

Davis had a traumatic brain injury, broken clavical, brain bleeds and road rash, but all of the blood that Gould saw was mostly superficial, said Klubock.

By day 11 of his Acoma, doctors again told her to pull the plug but she got six different opinions, not ready to give up.

He ended up waking up at day 14, and Klubock is so happy that she trusted her gut and the doctors who told her there was still a chance that he would be okay.

Davis was at Renown for 32 days before they flew him home to Kaiser in Oakland.

After his stint in the hospital, Davis went to a rehabilitation center and by Jan. 22, 2016, he was able to go home.

Davis had to relearn how to walk and has short-term memory loss but he is working hard and keeping his spirits up, said Klubock.

Klubock said that when she got the police report she knew that she needed to let Gould know that Davis survived.

“I needed her to know that I will be indebted to her forever,” said Klubock. “She had her kids, she could have just driven home but she stayed and called 911. Not just anybody would do that.”

After Klubock originally contacted Gould in April the two have kept close communications and have become really good friends, even though they have never met in person.

“She’s my hero. I’m just so amazed by her,” said Klubock. “It has been the craziest year. I love that woman.”