18 taken into custody on New Year’s Eve
New Year’s Eve was only a few hours old when Douglas County authorities arrested the first intoxicated person and went searching for the first missing person.
Between 5,000 and 10,000 people rang in the new year in Stateline on Thursday night.
Highway 50 through the casino corridor closed at 11:58 p.m. and was back open at 12:20 a.m., according to Douglas County Sheriff’s Sgt. Pat Brooks.
Arrests were up a bit from last year with 18 taken into custody in downtown Stateline.
Brooks said charges included DUI, battery on an officer, domestic battery, trespassing, intoxicated pedestrian, minor consuming alcohol and possession of a controlled substance.
No law enforcement officers were injured during the evening.
Brooks said the various law enforcement and support agencies involved in this year’s event worked extremely well together.
Douglas County Sheriff Ron Pierini thanked all the agencies who participated, including: Nevada Highway Patrol, Nevada Division of Investigation, Douglas County Sheriff Search and Rescue, Tahoe-Douglas Fire Department, South Lake Tahoe Police Department, El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office, California Highway Patrol, Douglas County Communications Center, Nevada Department of Transportation and Cal-Trans.
Carson Valley reported a quiet evening with 3 people arrested for DUI, domestic battery, and minor consuming.