Genoa area tour will offer fine old houses, one new one
A combination of historic structures dating from almost a century ago plus one new home are included on this year’s Genoa Area House and Garden Tour, which extends from Genoa to Minden and Gardnerville and to several ranches located throughout the Carson Valley.
Tickets for L & M Promotions’ sixth annual tour, Sunday, June 4, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., are now on sale for $10.
Advanced tickets may be purchased by sending a check or money order to L & M Promotions, P.O. Box 89, Genoa 89411. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Tickets will also be sold the day of the tour at the Genoa Courthouse Museum in Genoa.
Proceeds from this tour will benefit the Carson Advocates for Cancer Victims, an all-volunteer agency that helps defray the cost of medication and treatment for Carson, Douglas, Lyon and Storey cancer victims, and the Genoa Renaissance Faire, to be held in Genoa on July 29 and 30.
n The Dressler Ranch House was built in the 1980s for William and Maggie Park Dressler. This large historic ranch house has been the home of five generations of Dresslers. Tastefully restored and decorated, it features original doors, woodwork and moldings.
The large living room and dining room have bay windows and hardwood floors. The large kitchen has been updated. The cupboards and counter tops are original, with just new faces. A large bedroom and bath, pantry with meat lockers and three porches make up the first floor.
The second floor features a lovely guest room with its own sink and large closet. The upstairs bath is large with lots of tile and was probably a bedroom in the 1890s.
Today, William and Maggie’s great-great-grandson has the distinction of having the same room as his great-grandfather and grandfather had when they were boys. The master bedroom is large with doors that open onto a small balcony. The old nursery, which has been opened up and is now a sitting room and office area, helps make this a wonderful master suite.
Family antiques and treasures decorate this beautifully restored home. A beautiful, big yard surrounds the house.
n The Henningsen Ranch House was built in 1904 to replace the larger home of Carsten Henningsen’s (John’s great-grandfather) that was destroyed by fire. This home is a wonderful example of the early faux woodgrain painting technique that was used to make pine look like other, more expensive woods. Upon entering the entry hall with grand staircase, railing and woodwork, it’s like stepping back in time to 1904.
John and Virginia’s master bedroom is the same room that John was born in. The woodwork is beautiful faux-painted bird’s-eye maple with bay window. The other downstairs bedroom was at one time the ranch office and daughter Caroline’s bedroom. It also has beautiful faux-painted woodwork.
The old back porch has been transformed into a small bath to accommodate a more modern life style. The large living and dining rooms have a lovely bay window. The country kitchen and family room area have lots of built-in cupboards and shelves, ideal for today’s lifestyles. This very large ranch house is also decorated with family treasures and antiques.
n The Krummes House in Minden was built in 1911 for Peter Krummes by Mr. LeClaire, owner of the lumber yard that was located across the street. Today, the home of a local artist, it features a hand-painted mural in the bathroom, loft bedroom with wide plan floors and balcony. There are two other bedrooms, one with wallpaper, the owner antiqued to look old. A great kitchen, dining and family room area are the heart of this historic home. A large, separate artist’s studio, with artwork in progress, also acts as guest quarters. A large picket fence surrounds the yard.
n The Logan Building/Old Carson Valley Hospital is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This 1914 brick building was constructed for Dr. Hawkins and was restored in 1978 by E-Ann and Glenn Logan. Decorated with beautiful woodwork, historic wallpaper and resident ghost that opens and shuts doors as if checking on patients, the building is now owned by Noel and Louise Manoukian.
n The Dake House was built in the 1870s with 12-foot ceilings. The house is all original except the kitchen, added in the 1960s. The historic old barn will be open for the tour for the first time this year. The barn was used as a morgue after the devastating snow slide of 1882 that destroyed the Dake undertaking parlor.
n Morrison/Allerman Ranch is where five generations of family members have lived. This 1880s ranch house was almost totally restored and is always changing. The home features four bedrooms and large dining and living rooms, all filled with antiques. The updated kitchen still has historic charm. Food and drinks will e available in the yard, along with restrooms in the new barn.
n Genoa Courthouse Museum, an early Nevada courthouse, was built in 1865 and became a school in 1916 when the county seat was moved to Minden. Today, the Carson Valley Historical Society operates a fine museum with many displays that reflect the early history and heritage of Carson Valley.
n Morman Station State Park is a replica of the original fort and trading post built by John Reese and party in 1851. The trading post was a very successful venture supplying goods to wagon trains heading for California and later to the Comstock-bound miners. The museum features early settlement exhibits and displays.
n The Genoa Community Church is a small country church, built after the Genoa fire of 1910, and is popular today for weddings. The porch and bell tower were added in 1978.
n Genoa Town Hall, built in the 1880s by the Raycraft brothers, was sold to the town in 1946. The old maple floors have been replaced with oak, but the original wainscoating remains and was just recently painted. The front porch was added in the 1970s. The hall is used for community functions and events.
For additional information, call 782-2893 or 782-4951.