Gardnerville museum celebrates 22 years
A month before it opened on Aug. 19, 1995, carpenters were still hammering in the door and window frames at the Carson Valley Museum and Cultural Center.
In a July 15, 1995, article, Historical Society President Glenn Logan was calling for help from finish carpenters so the carpet layers could come in and do their work.
It was fitting that the first exhibit in the changing gallery featured photos of graduates and activities at the old Douglas County High School, finished more than a century ago.
One of those graduates, Dorothy Scossa, was one of more than 50 guests who attended Saturday’s party celebrating 22 years since the museum opened in the former high school.
Scossa graduated from the school with the Class of 1940, whose portraits were drawn by cartoonist Lew Hymers. She married Eugene Scossa just before graduation day, according to an article appearing in The R-C.
Scossa, whose 95, is only a few years younger than the high school building itself, which opened Jan. 3, 1916.
It was built as a result of an act of the 1915 Nevada Legislature which required Douglas County to issue bonds to move the county seat to Minden and the high school to Gardnerville.
It continued to be used as a school until the mid-1980s, when new earthquake standards forced its closure.