Woman admits cashing stolen checks | RecordCourier.com

Woman admits cashing stolen checks

by Aurora Sain

A convicted felon suspected of cashing checks that were taken from mailboxes in the Topaz Ranch Estates area admitted two felonies on Tuesday.

Allison Jean MeGee, 42, pleaded guilty to two counts of uttering a forged instrument, while the state agreed to dismiss two other counts of the same nature.

In April, residents realized that their checks weren’t making it to the correct places and contacted deputies who launched an investigation along with the U.S. Postal Inspector.

In the instances, the checks had been altered to say cash, or MeGee’s name.

She is facing up to four years for each count and up to a $5,000 fine for each count.

MeGee said that she got the checks from a friend who told her to cash them.

“I just needed a little extra money,” said MeGee.

Sentencing was set for Oct. 18 and she was released on her own recognizance with alternative sentencing monitoring her.

■ Shane Wedin, 22, was returned on a warrant after being picked up in Washoe County.

The Washoe case was dismissed for insufficient evidence and was something Wedin said he was never a part of.

Wedin was awaiting sentencing for felony grand larceny for his involvement in stealing more than $900 in ink cartridges from Walmart.

He is facing up to 60 months in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

“I’m pretty leery about putting you anywhere besides prison,” said Judge Tod Young.

He was released on his own recognizance until his Sept. 20 sentencing date.

■ James Branson Cook, 25, was in court again on Tuesday for another probation violation.

He was kicked out of the Salvation Army rehabilitation program that he was ordered into back in July.

In July, Cook had his probation reinstated after admitting to several violations including failure to get a substance abuse violation, lack of cooperation and not providing an address in which he lived.

In the violation report, it states that Cook went into the women’s restroom and was heard talking to a women inside and then at a later time hopped a fence after curfew to talk to a woman.

An evidentiary hearing was set for 2 p.m. Sept. 15.

He has credit for 253 days time served.

■ Daniel Pozniak, 51, will be spending some time in prison after being sentenced on Tuesday for felony domestic battery with two priors.

Judge Young sentenced him to 12-30 months in prison, and more than $300 in fees and fines.

He was originally facing up to five years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

His two prior charges are both out of Carson City in 2015.

“He acted inappropriately and he’s going to go to prison for that and he understands that,” said his attorney Maria Pence.

The offense happened in April, but it has taken some time to make sure Pozniak was aware about all the details of the charge.

“I’ve definitely learned my lesson, recalibrated my thoughts and I am being honest with myself,” said Pozniak.

The victim was present in court and spoke in favor of Pozniak and asked Young not to send him to prison.

“He’s a wonderful person when he’s sober,” she said.

This is Pozniak’s first felony offense.

He has credit for 152 days.

■ Michael Jon Cobb, 35, was in court on Tuesday and pleaded guilty to a gross misdemeanor charge of attempted resisting a public officer with a firearm.

According to the police report, Cobb tried to smother his mother with a pillow, gave her a bloody nose and pointed a handgun at both her and her boyfriend.

When police arrived, he refused orders to put down the firearm.

In the plea deal, Cobb also pleaded guilty to battery that constitutes domestic violence.

He is facing up to 364 days in jail and up to a $2,000 fine.

Sentencing was set for Oct. 18.

■ Maximillion Stephen Penfield, 28, was in court on Tuesday for a third DUI arrest from June.

According to the police report, Penfield had a brake light and tail light out and then rolled through a stop sign in front of a deputy.

When he was pulled over they found a half full 40-ounce of Miller High Life and a marijuana pipe.

He also already had his license revoked for a DUI.

The District Attorneys office was still working on getting official copies of Penfield’s prior arrests so he couldn’t plead on Tuesday.

Penfield was released until Sept. 13 when he will come back to enter a guilty or not guilty plea.

He will be on house arrest and he will have to wear a transdermal device.