Man waives hearing in shooting case |

Man waives hearing in shooting case

Staff Reports

An Indian Hills resident waived a hearing in East Fork Justice Court on Friday morning.

Daniel Vanhooser, 57, was arrested early on the morning of April 6 after deputies arrived at an early morning call to hear gunshots coming from a home on Tourmaline.

After a short time, Vanhooser left the house and was taken into custody at gunpoint without incident.

The victim said Vanhooser came into her room and punched her in the face, and then fired several shots from a .32 revolver into the home’s ceiling.

He is scheduled to appear in Douglas County District Court on Oct. 17.

■ An early morning medical call led to the arrest of a Gardnerville Ranchos man in Carson City on Sunday.

According to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, medics responded to an address on Springtime Drive for a man asking for a helicopter to take him to a medical office in Carson City.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Sgt. Bernadette Smith said Frank Yarwasky, 61, repeatedly refused evaluation by medics.

Yarwasky then drove himself to Carson Valley Medical Center where he allegedly caused a disturbance prompting center personnel to call deputies.

Yarwasky left the center before deputies arrived, but was spotted driving through town at 60 mph in the 25 mph zone. He reached speeds of around 95 mph northbound on Highway 395 when deputies turned off their lights and sirens, Smith said.

Yarwasky allegedly led Carson City deputies on a high speed chase up Carson Street. He stopped at the North Carson Greater Nevada Credit Union and attempted to flee on foot before being taken down by police. His bail was set at $10,500.

■ A Carson City man was arrested Friday afternoon when authorities received several calls of a reckless driver heading south into Minden.

Joe Kizer, 39, was driving a black Lexus when a deputy waiting for the vehicle saw him nearly rear-end someone who’d stopped for a pedestrian.

The deputy followed the vehicle as far as 9th Street when he conducted a traffic stop.

Kizer allegedly failed field sobriety tests. The deputy reported Kizer said he walked by the Lexus while it was running in north Carson City, and when he returned and it was still running, so he got in and drove off.

Prosecutors sought more time to charge Kizer.