Gardnerville man sentenced for coercion |

Gardnerville man sentenced for coercion

by Aurora Sain

A Gardnerville man was given probation for a fight with his girlfriend that turned physical.

Trysten John Duzan, 19, was found to be guilty of felony coercion, when he prohibited his then girlfriend from leaving.

He was also found to be guilty of domestic battery with the use of strangulation out of the East Fork Justice Court, and sentenced to 60 days in jail, which he turned himself in on Tuesday to serve.

“What you did here is awful,” said Judge Tod Young. “You have no authority to control someone else, you don’t own anybody.”

He was originally arrested in July 2015 after a fight with his girlfriend in which he prevented her from leaving. According to the police report, he grabbed her by the neck and tackled her to the ground.

Duzan’s ex-girlfriend spoke to the judge about her experience, and how the event has affected her.

“I feel like he destroyed a part of me and I can never get that back,” she said. “I think he needs help and I really hope he gets it.”

Young allowed Duzan to turn to the vicitm, and apologize for his actions, something she said she had been waiting to hear for a long time.

“I just want to say I’m sorry,” said Duzan. “I never wanted this to happen.”

He had a lot of support with him in the courtroom, and even the victim said she didn’t want to see him go to jail.

“I don’t doubt that Trysten is a fine young man,” said Deputy District Attorney Brian Filter. “He has repeatedly failed to take responsibilty for his actions. The victims family is torn, they take no pleasure in being here today.”

He was given a 12-30 month suspended prison sentence, and ordered to pay over $4,000 in restitution to the victim for medical bills.

He was given probation not exceeding five years and will have to carry around his felony convictions for the rest of his life, which will prohibit him from voting or owning a firearm.

Duzan had previously stated that he had trouble controlling his moods.

“It’s your actions that bring you into court, not your mood,” said Young.

He has credit for four days time served.

“Trysten, you messed up really bad,” said Young. “You did a horrible thing.

■ Aaron Joel Masters, 38, had his probation re-instated after he violated by driving without a license and consuming alcohol.

Masters owes around $73,000 in child support, but has been making consistent payments.

Young decided the best course of action would be to allow him to work in order to continue paying his child support.

“I’m not going to waste my breath talking to you,” said Young.

■ Christopher Nick Silva, 30, was given a chance to participate in the Western Nevada Regional Drug Court, for his addiction to methamphetamine and heroin.

He pleaded guilty to felony theft, and was ordered to pay over $3,000 in restitution to the victims.

The maximum penalty would be up to 60 months in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.

He will sit in custody until the next class on March 21.

“These are powerful drugs,” said Young. “They’ll kill you.” ■ Clifford Beattie, 59, was back in custody on Tuesday following a probation violation report.

His original offense stems from his alcohol and methamphetamine use, and causing a public disturbance.

He violated by using methamphetamine again, and his attorney and Young agreed that he had a serious problem.

“It’s clear that inpatient treatment is something that he requires,” said his attorney Jamie Henry.

He has a maximum 48-month prison sentence hanging over his head if he can’t get help through a program.

He will stay in custody until a bed can be arranged for him at an inpatient treatment.

The treatment can’t be less than 28 days, and Young said that his probation officer can decide if he needs to stay in the program for longer.

“The community would be better off if you weren’t an active addict,” said Young.

■ Richard Gomes, 36, was given a chance at probation for his possession charge.

Gomes dropped out of the drug court because the schedule wouldn’t link up with his work schedule.

He also went to Washington without telling his probation officer and was extradited back to the state.

“If he left to go visit his children or left to go get a Hersey bar it doesn’t matter,” said Young.

He was ordered to pay over $2,000 in extradition costs, and given a 14 to 48 month suspended prison sentence.

“I take 100 percent responsibility for what I’ve done,” said Gomes.

He has credit for 105 days time served.