18-year-old looking at prison for battery | RecordCourier.com

18-year-old looking at prison for battery

by Aurora Sain

One man who is new to being an adult is facing his first felony offense.

Arturo Reyes Vivas, 18, pleaded guilty on Monday to felony attempted battery causing substantial bodily harm.

The offense happened in March when Vivas approached the 17-year-old victim at the park and accused him of being a snitch, according to the police report.

Vivas and some of his friends then started to punch, kick and hit the victim to the point that the victim fractured his jaw and required surgery, according to witnesses.

This is Vivas first criminal charge and he could be facing up to four years in prison and up to a $5,000 fine.

He will be eligible for probation, although it is not mandatory.

Sentencing was set for Dec. 5 at 9 a.m.

■ Biren Vinod Desai, 36, was in court on Monday after being returned on a bench warrant for failing to appear in August.

He was originally arrested in 2013 after a bouncer at Peek Nightclub in South Lake Tahoe found a bag of cocaine in Desai’s pocket.

He was charged with possession of a controlled substance with three or more prior offenses.

His August court date was to dishonorably discharge him from probation, which Judge Tom Gregory originally denied.

Parole and probation informed the court that Desai’s probation had expired in November 2015 and they already discharged him.

Desai had been extradited from California, and Gregory had Desai immediately released.

■ Ray Edward Brashears, 32, pleaded guilty to a felony on Monday to the charge of fraud for uttering a forged instrument.

According to police reports, Brashears attempted to cash a check using his roommate’s name at Lakeside Inn and Casino. Lakeside Inn and Casino received the check back from their bank as fraudulent. The bank explained they were unable to locate the account the check was drawn from.

The check was written from Sierra-at-Tahoe where the roommate was a former employee and where Brashears also worked. The check appeared to be written with the roommate’s name in the amount of $1,480. The check was cashed on Jan, 8 2016.

After failure to contact Brashears a warrant was released for his arrest.

Brashears is facing a max penalty of 48 months in prison and is asking for probation. A sentencing hearing is set for Dec. 5 2016.

■ Randall Crawford, 73, was sent to prison last Tuesday for his part in sales of a controlled substance.

He sold several drugs to an undercover agent including methamphetamine and heroin over a period of time.

He was never the intended target, but when it came time to give the money or produce the drugs Crawford showed up.

“I didn’t realize the devastation this drug could do,” said Crawford.

He was given a 12-48 month sentence and ordered to pay over $800 in fees and fines.

He has credit for 20 days time served.

■ William Clifford Kirst, 33, pleaded guilty last Tuesday to felony grand larceny of a firearm.

He stole from his uncle over a period of time and sold items to local pawnshops.

He is facing up to 120 months in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

Sentencing was set for Nov. 29 at 9 a.m.

■ Jarred Conrad Wojciechowski, 31, pleaded guilty to felony burglary last Tuesday for stealing from On the Rocks Bar, where he was employed.

He owes over $1,500 in restitution for the July offense.

According to the police reports manager of On the Rocks Bar, arrived for her shift and noticed the bar was closed, which should have been opened already by Wojciechowski. She also noticed that the gaming drawer and cash register were missing money.

She attempted to contact Wojciechowski several times via phone calls and text with no response.

She viewed the surveillance cameras where it revealed Wojciechowski entering the bar after hours several times to take money from the drawers.

During the fourth entrance it shows him and another unidentified man enter the bar and steal the remaining money from the drawers then proceed to drink and play pool.

■ Jarl Gene Klockars, 53, pleaded guilty last Tuesday to felony DUI third offense.

He was in an accident on Highway 395 and when police arrived he had a .297 blood alcohol content.

He is facing a $2,000-$5,000 fine and up to six years in prison.

Sentencing was set for Dec. 6 at 9 a.m.