Starbucks Roasting Plant & Distribution Center honored | RecordCourier.com

Starbucks Roasting Plant & Distribution Center honored

Staff Reports

Starbucks Carson Valley Roasting Plant & Distribution Center took home the county's top award for Business of the Year Thursday during Northern Nevada Development Authority's Pioneer Awards. The Pioneer Awards recognized businesses in five county regions and each county chose a business of the year.

Starbucks Carson Valley Roasting Plant & Distribution Center was selected based on its alignment with the county's five guiding economic vitality principles:

Improves the business climate

Is unique and marketable

Helps maintain the exceptional quality of life

Enhances education and workforce

Recommended Stories For You

Preserves the natural environment and improves infrastructure

County Manager Larry Werner said Starbucks is a valued business in our community. The company has invested more than $14 million in the last three years and last year increased jobs by 36 full time positions. A real community partner, Starbucks and its employees have contributed more than 2,500 volunteer hours in the last fiscal year to local non-profits and organizations. Starbucks is recognized for its College Achievement Plan, which provides an opportunity for all benefits eligible U.S. partners to complete a bachelor's degree with full tuition reimbursement through Arizona State University's programs, delivered online.

Starbucks is definitely a leader in environmental stewardship and is acknowledged for its efforts with less than 5 percent of its waste diverted to waste to energy to produce electricity/methane gas, the remaining 95 percent is used in recycling to make items such as composite decking/fertilizer and erosion prevention.

Other Douglas County businesses winning awards at the event were Bently Ranches for the Homestead Award – Best Agricultural Initiative and Full Circle Soils & Compost for the Battleborn Award–Best Green Practices.

For more information about the Pioneer Awards visit http://www.pioneerawards.com.