Genoa, Nev. — I received word after deadline Wednesday that Bark in the Park has been postponed until 4-7 p.m. Sept. 17 due to the possibility more smoke could pour into the Valley by Friday. It’s relatively clear this morning, but neither the Caldor or Dixie fires have slowed down, so a shift in the wind could bring the smoke back at any time.
Air quality is moderate in the Carson Valley as of 6 a.m. with a reading of 70 and showing stable. The smoke from the fires is wafting north on the other side of the Sierra crest. Visibility at Minden-Tahoe Airport is 10 miles or more at 6:30 a.m. I can see the Pine Nuts on the other side of the Valley, though there’s still a pretty thick haze.
It should be a relatively good day for the Main Street Wine Walk in Gardnerville. Wine walkers will be out 4:30-7:30 p.m. today. You can register by 7 p.m. at Gardnerville Station or Big Daddy’s Bikes and Brews.
Firefighters have managed to keep Highway 50 near Pollock Pines open so far and the satellite detectors aren’t showing any hot spots north of the highway. I don’t have an update this morning, but the fire is officially at 62,586 acres. The Federal Information for Resource Management System site map shows around 75,000 acres.
Highway 395 remains closed north of Hallelujah Junction this morning. The Dixie Fire is at 662,647 acres this morning and is burning seven miles from Susanville.
We got a touch of fall this morning with the airport showing it got down to 34 degrees. Up on the bench it was at least 5 degrees warmer and, in some instances, well over 40.
The forecast calls for sunny skies and a high of 80 degrees. The wind will shift to the northwest at 5-10 mph, gusting to 20 mph. Smoke is expected to be back on Friday, but any guarantee is in the wind.
Kurt Hildebrand is editor of The Record-Courier. Reach him at email@example.com