Mayor's stepson cuts off ankle monitor

The stepson of Carson City Mayor Marv Teixeira surrendered to authorities Wednesday night after cutting off an ankle monitoring device he was ordered to wear while awaiting trial on a felony gun charge.

Robert Michael Hernandez, 19, turned himself in at 11:30 p.m. after he was discovered missing Wednesday morning from his parents' house, where he was under house arrest and pre-trial supervision pending a Jan. 26 hearing on charges of felony carrying a concealed weapon, minor consuming alcohol and minor gambling Dec. 10. He is being held in the Carson City Jail on $3,000 bail.

According to the Dec. 10 arrest report, Deputy Bill Richards was responding to a dispute on Hot Springs Road at 6:12 p.m. when he found Hernandez and another man playing slot machines inside the Quik Stop Market at 3006 Roop St.

Richards said when Hernandez was asked for identification, he said he didn't have any, but that he was 19.

Richards said that as he was checking Hernandez's name through Carson City records, Hernandez asked to get a Gatorade. Richards said he told Hernandez he wanted to make sure he didn't have any weapons, but when Richards moved toward him, Hernandez "bolted away from me and proceeded farther into the door."

Richards said he pulled out his Taser and ordered Hernandez to stop and Hernandez allegedly ran in the opposite direction. Richards fired his Taser and struck Hernandez in the back, knocking him off his feet. Richards said once Hernandez was handcuffed, he allegedly said, "I got a deuce in my front pocket."

A .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol loaded with seven rounds was allegedly recovered from Hernandez's pocket.

On Dec. 21, Judge John Tatro released Hernandez on his own recognizance to house arrest at Teixeira's home. The mayor called police after he discovered Hernandez had cut off his ankle monitor and was missing Wednesday morning, said Sheriff Kenny Furlong.

Teixeira said he's pained by Hernandez's troubles.

"These are very difficult times for our family. Robbie's evidentially made some wrong turns, but he's 19 years old and it's pretty much up to him now. At this point all we can do is love him, which we do. We just hope that things turn around," he said.

-- Contact reporter F.T. Norton at or 881-1213.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment