Former "Beverly Hillbillies" star Max Baer Jr. on Wednesday won a Nevada gaming license he says will pave the way for his planned Carson City casino.
The Nevada Gaming Commission approved the recommendation of the Gaming Control Board as part of its consent agenda and Baer wasn't required to attend.
He and partner Roger Camras were licensed to own 10 percent of the Beverly Hillbillies Gambler Casino in North Las Vegas. Longtime gaming executive John Karras, who has been in management in several Atlantic City casinos, is buying the remaining 90 percent and will operate the casino.
Baer said after a Gaming Control Board hearing earlier this month his purpose in seeking the deal was two-fold. First, he needed to have the Beverly Hillbillies name on a casino this year before his option to use the name from the CBS TV network expired.
Second, he said licensing him at that casino would grease the path toward moving the name to his planned casino in South Carson City. He has plans to build in the old Wal-Mart building he owns on South Carson Street but has run into opposition from other tenants at the mall - Glenbrook Realty and J.C. Penney Co.
He said he is committed to getting the casino project under construction in Northern Nevada by June. He proposes to build a 240-room hotel as well as a casino.
Baer played Jethro Bodine on the 1960s television show and has an option from CBS to use the Beverly Hillbillies name on a casino.
-- Contact reporter Geoff Dornan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 687-8750.