Langer back at work

She couldn't be happier.

Given half the chance, Carson City's Chief Deputy District Attorney Anne Langer will tell you that very thing.

"I am so happy to be back. Every morning I wake up and think, 'I get to go to work today,'" she said, beaming.

Langer, 45, wasn't always smiling. Two weeks ago she was facing a district court judge on a felony charge she intimidated a witness - a charge she, and everyone else in the District Attorney's Office, adamantly denied and one that was eventually dismissed. According to the judge, no crime was committed.

"I don't see any evidence whatsoever of any type of criminal intent here by Miss Langer. She simply did her job the best she could under the circumstances," Judge Mark Gibbons said Sept. 10. "The court finds there was no slight or marginal evidence submitted to the grand jury which would justify a return indictment . I think we owe Miss Langer an apology."

Upon hearing those words, the courtroom of supporters and Langer herself erupted into tears and hugs.

"I couldn't stop myself," she said.

Langer's charges stemmed from a grand jury investigation into specific accusations addressed in a petition. Out of the grand jury came three indictments. She was the only public official indicted.

By the time the case was settled in September, Langer had been on administrative leave with pay since June 21.

Describing those two and a half months as the "most painful time I have ever gone through," she is too happy to be resubmerged in the legal business of Carson City.

The toughest part of her estrangement from office was feeling as if the profession she had devoted her life to, would be taken away.

That is all over now. With the dismissal of the charge, life is back to normal. Langer had just one final bit of business she felt she had to take care of. She wrote a letter to the city stating her intention of returning $7,000, or 160 hours in wages, to the city for the time she was on leave.

"I just felt it was the right thing to do. Carson City has been hit financially very hard recently with the cost of the grand jury and other litigations. I decided to give the money back to the taxpayers."

Langer also can't say enough good things about her boss, District Attorney Noel Waters, who stood behind her in her time of crisis.

"Noel was there for me from the beginning. He never wavered in his support," she said. "Even though this was a political hot potato and he could have very easily kept out of it, he remained strong."

She was also amazed at how the employees in the District Attorney's Office pulled together to cover her job. Already down one attorney when the indictment came out, the office was in a jam when Langer was placed on leave. She said everyone pitched in to help.

"They did a terrific job."

Deputy District Attorney Jason Woodbury and all the attorneys in the department received kudos from Langer as well.

"They did such a good job that when I came back, I just went to right to work. My desk was cleaned off for the first time in years."

Although Langer would have rather not have been indicted at all, she is thankful for one thing.

"This has made me a stronger person. It's also put things into perspective for me. I know what matters now."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment