Carson boys soccer wins battle of unbeatens

Players for the Carson High boys soccer team might as well come out onto the field with a bulls-eye on their uniforms for the rest of the season.

The Senators have beaten all the top comers in Northern Nevada, with their latest win a 4-3 victory over Galena on Saturday at Carson High in a battle of unbeaten teams. But in moving to 10-0, the Senators made sure that they will be the team that everyone points to on their schedule, beginning with another showdown against one of Northern Nevada's top teams at Reno on Wednesday.

"Everyone's going to be gunning for us," Carson coach Jim Nealis said. "The guys know that.

"It's going to get tougher every time. They also know if they're ready to play, nobody can beat them."

Carson built a 4-1 lead against Galena and then held on after a letdown in which the Grizzlies scored two quick goals with less than 10 minutes remaining in the game.

"It was a great game," Nealis said. "I wished all of our games were like that. I'm real happy with the way we played.

"We were moving the ball nice. That was the best team we've faced so far. I hope to see Galena in the zone finals, that would be nice. I'm proud of our guys."

Carson almost scored in the first 2 1/2 minutes of the game, but Landon Roser's shot bounced off the left post. Galena took a 1-0 when Josue Moran scored on a header.

The Senators went on to just miss on two chances to tie the score. Andrew James just missed on a free kick from 30 yards and Galena goalie Brian George made a diving save on a shot by Carlos Hernandez.

Carson was able to tie the score thanks to the hustle of Christian Losche. Bryce Burgess took a shot in which George was able to leap just able to put his hands on.

Off the deflection, George was able to knock the ball away before it cleared the goal line. But Losche was there to put the rebound in.

The Senators took a 2-1 lead when Eric Libby centered the ball and Hernandez took the pass in mid-air and put it into the net.

In the second half, James took advantage of his own foul after he was pushed in the back in the goal box as he scored on a penalty kick. Carson scored on another penalty kick to take a 4-1 lead after Jesse Steele was tripped in the goal box. Jeff Rogers scored on the penalty kick.

But Galena made it interesting when Kevin Clement scored off of a rebound. Moments later, Carson goalie Sean Carter was able to come out and stop Jason Hedrick on a breakaway.

But Carter was called for a questionable foul on the play and Hedrick scored on the penalty kick to make it 4-3.

"I thought we pretty much controlled the game," Nealis said. "They had a couple of goals in the second half that shouldn't have happened."

Others taking shots for Carson included Steele, Jesus Cid and Kirkwood Harris. Carter had 11 saves for the Senators.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment