St. Ann's Catholic Community of Dayton has taken a significant step that will lead the congregation to the goal of a new parish facility by Christmas 2000.
Early in October of this year the Diocese of Reno concluded the purchase of a seven-acre site on Highway 50, two miles east of Smith's in Dayton. On Oct. 10, the Rev. Michael Dallmeier dedicated the property at a ceremony attended by many of the parishioners.
The Catholic community of Dayton has worshiped in a small chapel since the early 1930's when local parishioners moved a one room school building from Yerington to Pike Street. This facility, though without running water or sewer, has served as chapel and parish office for nearly seventy years.
The population growth along the Highway Fifty corridor and that of the congregation has made the use of the current building impractical. Sunday services are now held in the multipurpose room of Dayton Elementary School.
Late in 1997 the parish established a capital building fund, hoping that in a few years sufficient money could be raised to either buy or build a parish facility for the area's small but growing Catholic Community. During the past two years the parish raised about half of what they need to construct a building big enough for their short-term needs. Current plans call for a multipurpose building that can be used for the observance of the Eucharist and for all of the parish's other activities.
A long range development plan for the entire seven acre site includes a Church with a seating capacity of six hundred, a second multipurpose building, a central patio and parking. This plan will provide the Catholic Community of Dayton as well as those living along Highway 50 from Mound House to Silver Springs with a facility for worship well into the 21st century.