The crowd was light, the feeling laid back and lazy for the Carson City Jaycees Chili Cookoff and Beer Tasting fund-raiser Saturday. The booths lined Third Street and the band was playing as people gathered in the shade on the boardwalk.
First prize in the competition category went to Dr. Ed Pierczynski for his specialty, Doc's Secret Remedy, edging out young Kyle Bates with his Ruff Chili by a hair. Chef Scott's Kick'n Chili, created by Scott Brown, took first in the People's Choice.
All proceeds from the event benefit the Happy Feet program, which provides needy children with new shoes and socks. Coupons for shoes are distributed by local organizations, including Advocates to End Domestic Violence, Child Protective Services and Hispanic Services.
The coupons can be redeemed at the Gotchy Outlet to assure children are properly fit. The organization put new shoes and socks on 85 children last year and would like to raise that number to 500 this year.
The Jaycees invite any organization who could use these coupons to call Lori Brown at 882-7207.
This year's winners are listed below.
- First place: Doc's Secret Remedy, Dr. Ed Pierczynski cook
- Second Place: Ruff Chili, Kyle Bates
- Third place: SOB Chili, Wendy Keller Smith
- First place: Chef Scott's Kick'n Chili - Scott Brown
- Second place: Mom's Chili, Mary Schoeppler
- Third place: Doc's Secret Remedy, Dr. Ed Pierczynski