Nevada governor candidate Bob Goodman defends against residency questions
June 17, 2014
Democratic gubernatorial nominee Bob Goodman defended himself June 13 against questions about whether he's actually a Nevada resident entitled to run against Gov. Brian Sandoval.
Goodman gathered 24.7 percent of the Democratic primary votes Tuesday in a field of eight. That total was second to "None of the Above," which collected 29.9 percent of the vote — some 4,000 more than Goodman.
The issue was raised in a Las Vegas Sun story that reported Goodman, in an interview earlier this year, said he lived in the Philippines where he has a business.
But a check of his election filings shows he claims to live in Las Vegas but the phone number on that document rings to a recorded message which doesn't accept incoming calls. His financial disclosure statement with the Secretary of State's Elections Division lists that address but lists zero income or property, no contributions and no campaign expenses.
In an email response Friday, Goodman said he's in the Philippines on a trip planned earlier to Hong Kong, China and other parts of Asia "on a trade and tourism mission" to bring business to Nevada.
As for how he makes a living, he said, "My grown sons support me and I live modestly." He also receives Social Security.
If challenged, Goodman could become the second candidate disqualified this election cycle. The first was John Michael Schaefer, who was removed from the ballot because he didn't meet the two-year residency requirement to run for Controller. The Secretary of State's office found Schaefer ran for Los Angeles City Council just a year ago, claiming residence in that state.
Goodman said despite the huge public lead Sandoval enjoys, he believes he has a strong chance to win the governor's race, citing tea party candidate David Brat's victory over House Majority Leader Eric Cantor.
In addition to being a former Marine, he said his experience as former Director of Economic Development for Mike O'Callaghan — governor in the 1970s — is key to his ability to bring economic development to Nevada.
Also on Friday, losing congressional hopeful Niger Innis says he wants an investigation into why a virtually unknown candidate made such a strong showing in the Nevada Republican primary, according to the Associated Press.
Innis issued a statement Thursday saying he would call on Secretary of State Ross Miller to audit the 4th District results, in which Assemblyman Cresent Hardy earned 43 percent of the vote, Innis took 33 percent and Mike Monroe earned 22 percent. About 24,000 votes were cast. Innis asked whether a computer error might be behind Monroe's large share of the vote, even though Monroe did virtually no campaigning.
He acknowledged Hardy won the nomination and "we need to move forward."
Secretary of State spokeswoman Catherine Lu said Miller's office had not received a formal request for an investigation as of Friday morning.