Natural gas leak forces evacuation
May 22, 2013
A backhoe cut a half-inch gas line forcing evacuation of the new portion of Aspen Mobile Home Park at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.
East Fork firefighters and members of Douglas County Search & Rescue began evacuating residents after the odor of gas was detected outside of the park.
The incident occurred at the back of the park on Spruce Loop.
Firefighters cleared the park and used a fire hose to prevent a spark from igniting the leak.
Southwest Gas responded to the incident and repaired the leak at about 10 a.m., and residents were allowed to return to their homes.
No injuries were reported as a result of the gas leak. There's no report on how many residents were evacuated. Many drove away from the scene. There were a few instances where residents refused to leave their homes in the mostly elderly community located along Centerville Lane just south of Gardnerville.