Genoa fire started in wall behind stove |

Genoa fire started in wall behind stove

by Kurt Hildebrand

Kurt HildebrandFirefighters cut into the wall on the north side of the Teig Building on Friday morning.

A Friday morning fire in a Genoa restaurant started in the wall behind the stove.

Firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the Genoa Station Bar and Grill at about 8:55 a.m. Friday.

East Fork Fire investigator Capt. Terry Taylor said heat from the stove over time was conducted through a stainless steel sheathing, essentially turning the wood behind it to charcoal and starting the fire.

Taylor said that while there’s the odor of smoke throughout the building, which houses the grill, and clothing shop Sweet Repeats.

“The interior of the premise needs to be wiped down,” Taylor said. “There’s no damage to the food or kitchen equipment.”

Taylor said the restaurant will have to rip out the wall and replace it, before it can be reopened.

Recommended Stories For You

The fire did more than $75,000 in damage to the Teig Building.

Smoke was spotted in the building at about 8:55 a.m.

Go back to article