Firefighters respond to small blaze at Historian Inn |

Firefighters respond to small blaze at Historian Inn

Staff Reports

Firefighters responded to a fire in a room at Historian Inn shortly before 8 a.m. Thursday.

East Fork Fire Capt. Terry Taylor said two nine-volt battery terminals created heat and ignited a suitcase from inside, resulting in a fire.

The incident was discovered when water was coming out of a room on the scond floor.

“FIrefighters found a sprinkler operating and a fire in a suitcase on one of the two beds. The sprinkler had suppressed the fire. Nobody was hurt,” Taylor said.

The room was unoccuped at the time.

Electrical power was shut off and expected to be restored by 5 p.m.

Recommended Stories For You

“These things happen occasionally,” Taylor said. “Batteries come in contact at obvious opposite polarity, and even a very small battery can emit sufficiet heat to ignite certain products.”

He said damage to the nylon and canvas suitcase and its contents was estimated at $1,000. Damage to the room had not been calculated.

“It was a good thing in the sense that the fire alarm worked and the sprinkler system worked to keep the fire from spreading at the hotel,” Taylor said.

The fire is under investigation.

Go back to article