Ex-pro hockey player charged with drunk driving | RecordCourier.com

Ex-pro hockey player charged with drunk driving

Staff Reports

Ex-National Hockey League goalie Clint Malarchuk was charged Saturday with driving under the influence in Gardnerville with a blood-alcohol content reportedly three times the legal limit in Nevada.

Malarchuk was stopped just before 10 p.m. Saturday when a deputy on patrol on Toler at Stodick Park observed a pickup truck cross the double-yellow line for about 100 feet before it swerved back. The vehicle crossed the yellow line a second time at Orchard Road.

A driver identified as Malarchuk reportedly denied he’d been drinking and told the officer he hadn’t had a drink in two years.

The driver agreed to a field sobriety test and stumbled as he stepped out of the truck. A preliminary test indicated a breath-alcohol content of .233, according to reports. The legal limit for driving in Nevada is .08.

An open bottle of beer was discovered in the back seat.

Malarchuk was cited for driving under the influence, first offense, failure to maintain lane and open container.

Recommended Stories For You

Malarchuk is best known for an on-ice accident during a March 22, 1989, National Hockey League game versus St. Louis when he was playing for Buffalo.

Malarchuk, playing goal, was slashed in the neck by the Blues’ Steve Tuttle’s skate. The skate got caught under Malarchuk’s mask and above his protective collar, slashing his jugular vein.

Blood gushed rapidly from a 6-inch cut on the right side of his neck, spilling onto the ice as Malarchuk collapsed before a horrified crowd.

Malarchuk, who lives in Fish Springs, was a goaltending coach for the National Hockey League Columbus Blue Jackets until last summer.

In October 2007, Malarchuk was charged with disorderly conduct after an altercation with Douglas County deputies at a Gardnerville bar. The charge was dismissed a year ago after he paid $250 restitution and violated no laws for one year. He was allowed to withdraw his guilty plea.

In October 2008, Malarchuk accidentally shot himself in the chin with a .22-caliber rifle. He was taken by helicopter to Renown Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Go back to article