East Fork Hotel may be torn down
December 2, 2013
IF You Go
The Picon Drinkers of the American West plan to say farewell to Gardnerville’s East Fork Hotel 3 p.m. Nov. 30
Gardnerville's oldest native structure could be torn down next spring.
The owners of the 120-year-old East Fork Hotel have contacted Douglas County about the possibility of obtaining a demolition permit for the property.
According to the Douglas County Assessor's Office, the property located at 1441 Highway 395, is owned by Arrcordia LLC.
Built in 1893 by George and Charley Brown, the hotel was one of the earliest commercial buildings in Gardnerville, according to a U.S. Forest Service plaque that has since been removed.
The construction was part of a building boom in Gardnerville that saw the completion of the hotel in August 1893.
According to County Manager Steve Mokrohisky, the owners have not yet submitted an application to demolish the building.
"We understand that they are currently salvaging reusable materials from the building," he said. "Once they have an approved demolition permit from the county, the structure can be removed."
A Gardnerville organization, the Picon Drinkers of the American West, plans an event out front of the hotel 3 p.m. Nov. 30 to say farewell, according to their Facebook page.
According to a story appearing in 1986 in The Record-Courier, French Basque sheepherder Raymond and wife Gorgonia Borda purchased the property in 1921 and operated it as a boarding house and tavern. After Raymond died in 1950, Gorgonia raised their seven children and operated the hotel until her death in 1981. Her heirs closed the hotel, but operated he adjacent East Fork Club until it burned down on July 17, 1986.
It has been 12 years since an effort to renovate the hotel was proposed. Besides the occasional paint job, not much has changed.