Discovery Museum flash fire injures 13
September 4, 2014
A flash fire during a demonstration injured 13 people on Wednesday at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum in Reno.
According to Reno Fire officials the cause of the flash fire was an oversight by a museum presenter who did not follow the correct procedure in creating a routine "dust devil" or "tornado" demonstration
"It was a simple oversight by the presenter that caused a flash fire that lasted approximately three to five seconds," Reno Fire Chief Michael Hernandez said.
First reported as an explosion, the fire burned eight children and one adult. One child remains in the hospital today for observation, according to Renown Regional Medical Center.
Reno Fire Department officials met with museum staff earlier this morning and plans to conduct follow-up meetings.
"Our prevention staff will be meeting with museum staff to review demonstration and safety procedures and make appropriate recommendations as necessary," Hernandez says. "It should be noted that museum staff acted quickly and evacuated patrons in a safe and timely manner which facilitated first responders' actions upon arrival."