Information on shot-out windows sought |

Information on shot-out windows sought

Staff Reports

Two instances where windows were shot out in the Gardnerville Ranchos are under investigation by the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

The first incident occurred on May 23 at approximately 10:05 p.m. when a motorist was driving north on Tillman Lane. As the driver passed Jobs Peak Road he heard the driver's side rear glass panel shatter. During the investigation it appears the damage to the window was consistent with a BB gun or similar round.

The second incident occurred 9:08 p.m. Monday in the 800 block of Arrowhead Drive. A resident heard a crash at the front door. The resident found the storm door had been struck by a small caliber round, shattering the window to the door. A small copper bullet was recovered at the scene.

A reward is being offered to anyone with information leading to the arrest or conviction of the suspect. Your identity is not needed and you will remain anonymous. Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to call DCSO Dispatch at 775-782-5126 or Douglas County Secret Witness at 775-782-7463 or DCSO Investigator John Preston at 775-782-9909.

■ A man is knocking on doors and claiming he needs to borrow $40 to have a locksmith unlock his home.

According to the sheriff's office, the man tells residents that the locksmith will only take cash, and that as soon as he gets inside he'll be able to pay back the money. The man never returns, according to sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Pat Brooks.

Recommended Stories For You

"Should you be approached by someone acting suspicious, report the incident to the sheriff's office," Brooks said. "In addition, when contacted by people going door to door to sell and offer goods, Douglas County requires the person to have a travelling merchant permit. These permits are obtained through the sheriff's office after a background check."

Permits are laminated cards with the person's photo, business information and the dates the permit is valid.

"Residents are encouraged to ask for this permit and if they cannot produce the permit, contact the sheriff's office and report the incident," Brooks said.

Go back to article