Staff Reports

Follow Me

Back to: Crime News
December 9, 2013
Follow Crime News

Building burns near Kingsbury

A two-car garage burned down on Sunday near Kingsbury Grade.

Firefighters responded to multiple reports of a structure fire on Buena Vista Court. As they manned their rigs, firefighters could see smoke and flame from the blaze, East Fork Fire Marshal Steve Eisele said.

They arrived to find the detached 720-square-feet woodframe garage completely ablaze, and flames starting to spread to the home.

“Crews’ primary objective was to protect the main residence, which they did,” Eisele said. “The garage collapsed, but they were able to keep it cool enough to reduce the threat to the home.”

While firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof of the 2,556-square-foot home to extinguish the fire, there was little structural damage to the home.

Eisele said the electrical service to the home came through the garage and the service panel was destroyed in the fire, rendering the home uninhabitable.

The American Red Cross was called to aid the two adults and three children in the Michaels family. Eisele said there were no injuries among firefighters, the family or their pets, despite icy conditions around the home.

Eisele said the fire was accidental in nature. There were no vehicles in the garage.

He said the cause of the fire may have been a heating device in the garage.

With cold weather, Eisele reminded residents to be careful with heat sources, including portable heaters, fireplaces and woodstoves.

That includes cleaning chimneys of creosote, disposing of ashes in a metal container, and making sure fireplaces and portable heaters are in good shape for the winter.

Stories you may be interested in

The Record Courier Updated Dec 11, 2013 09:17AM Published Dec 19, 2013 03:37PM Copyright 2013 The Record Courier. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.