by Karen Dustman


Back to: News
July 11, 2013
Follow News

Markleeville as it was before the fire of 1885

Like many pioneer towns, Markleeville faced its share of fires. The worst conflagration of all struck on Aug. 2, 1885, when flames swept down Main Street. Among the businesses turned to ashes were John Weis’s store with $4,000 in contents; Henry Morrison’s saloon and its expensive billiard table; and Harvey and Rask’s butcher shop. Dozens of homes, stores and outbuildings vanished in the flames, and losses topped $11,000 – all of it uninsured. The citizens of Markleeville were quick to rebuild. But just how Main Street looked before the fire was lost forever — or so we thought. Over the …

Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

The Record Courier Updated Jul 11, 2013 05:23PM Published Jul 11, 2013 07:16PM Copyright 2013 The Record Courier. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.