Kurt Hildebrand

Follow Me

Back to: News
November 18, 2011
Follow News

Roadwork over, now prepare for winter

This week sees the change of seasons from roadwork to winter in Douglas County.

As temperatures plunge into the teens today, work on Highway 395 has come to a halt until spring.

"It's too cold to pave," said Nevada Department of Transportation Spokesman Scott Magruder. "The paving is done for the winter. They're doing some temporary striping, clean up work and some shouldering in the unpaved areas."

Even as Teichert Construction smoothes over the transitions between the new and old paving on Highway 395, stormy weather will bring a blast of winter today.

A high wind warning is in effect until 1 p.m. today as a cold front moves south into Nevada from the Gulf of Alaska.

U.S. Weather Service Meteorologist Mark Deutschendorf said that forecasters are expecting 60 mph gusts this morning.

Strong winds along the east slope of the Sierra may damage trees, power lines or property, according to the warning.

However, most of the moisture associated with the storm will fall north of Douglas County.

"As the front moves south, it will lose a lot of its moisture and punch, at least precipitation-wise," he said.

Snow levels should quickly drop to the Valley floors as the cold front passes today. Residents should expect several inches of snow in the Sierra with as much as half a foot near the crest north of Ebbetts Pass.

Valley residents should expect an inch or two of snow in the foothills, according to a statement issued Thursday by the weather service.

The snowfall is expected late this morning and early this afternoon, and could affect the Friday commute.

Deutschendorf said forecasters are watching another low pressure system due to arrive on Monday, but it appears most of the precipitation from that storm will stay on the west side of the mountains.

"There may be a few snow showers, but not much in Douglas County."

It will be spring before work on the project to resurface Highway 395 between Minden and Carson City resumes.

"We expect to begin work again in late April or early May," Magruder said. "We expect the work to be done by the fall of 2012."

When the work resumes, Magruder said construction requiring that a lane be closed will continue to be at night.

"So far it's gone well," he said. "With most of the nighttime work, there have just been minor inconveniences to commuters. When they've been closer to town, we've had some noise complaints."

Magruder said the $12.9 million project is expected to last two summers.

Stories you may be interested in

The Record Courier Updated Nov 18, 2011 11:05AM Published Nov 18, 2011 11:04AM Copyright 2011 The Record Courier. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.