The Record-Courier was born in 1875 as the Carson Valley News, begun by Douglas County District Attorney A.C. Pratt.
Pratt operated the newspaper for five years and then sold it to Boynton Carlisle, who changed the name to the Genoa Weekly Courier.
Carlisle's operation of the paper prompted George Smith, with support of others to found the Genoa Journal in 1880 and after a year of head to head competition, Smith purchased the Courier and closed the Journal.
The Gardnerville Record was founded in 1898 as competition for the Courier, which moved to Gardnerville the following year.
Both newspapers covered …